Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
1 tbsp Olive Oil, Divided
16 oz. Thomas Farms Grass-Fed Flank Steak
Alternate cuts: Ribeye, Sirloin, Strip Steak
3/4 cup water
8oz. Baby Bella Mushrooms
1/2 Onion, Sliced
1 Green Bell Pepper, Sliced
1 Red Bell Pepper, Sliced
6 oz. Penne Pasta
2/3 Cup Shredded Cheese
1. For the steak: Heat up a skillet (stainless steel or nonstick) for 2-3 minutes. It needs to be hot! Meanwhile, salt the steak. When the pan is ready, add the steak over medium-high heat, making sure to give it enough space. Thinly sliced steak cooks very fast (and you don’t want to overcook it), so only give it 2 minutes on the first side, then 1-2 on the other side. Transfer the steak to a plate and repeat until all the steak is cooked.
2. Add the water, mushrooms, onion and bell peppers to the pan over medium heat. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to scrape up bits of the beef that stuck to the pan (this residue is called fond, and it adds a ton of flavor) while the veggies cook. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring often, until the water has evaporated and the veggies are tender (about 10 minutes). Turn the heat off when finishes.
3. Cook pasta according to package and set it aside.
4. Put it all together: add the steak back to the pan with cooked veggies, and add in the cooked pasta. Turn heat to low and stir everything together. Add shredded cheese and cover the pan to melt.
5. For the work week: Divide the pasta between three meal prep containers. Let cool for 20-30 Minutes before sealing and storing in the fridge!
Recipe courtesy of Workweek Lunch